answer ?? please!!

marcie B.
on 2/20/09 1:30 am

ok i have a few questions..

i am waiting to have gastric bypass. I started this process june 2008. I have done all my classes and meetings. and have a appt tues with surgeon at umass. this is my consoltation appt. Is this the last appt? is there gonna be more.. do i make my surgery appt after i see him?

i wish i could spell his name...its something like czienach....any body have him that can answer these ?? i know he will tell me everything but im curious and would like to know ..

did you have to go on a liquid diet before surgery? if so how long?

did you only see him once before surgery?

when do you have tests done if you need them.?

i haven't had any and not sure if i do..

thanks.....

marcie
purplefans
on 2/20/09 1:41 am - MA
Hi Marcie -
some of these questions should be able to be easily answered by the staff at Umass.   I didn't go to Umass so can't help on alot of these questions - at NWH, they require a sleep apnea study - which take time to set up and do.    Best of luck with everything.  I'm sure you'll get the ansswer you need from this board.

Katie H.
on 2/20/09 12:07 pm - Charlton, MA
I had Dr. Czerniach in October 2008.  I didn't do a liquid diet before surgery.  My last appointment before surgery was with my surgeon - after all my tests and classes, which is generally how it is at UMass.  They'll send out your paperwork to the insurance company and you'll get a letter with a date.  At least that's how it worked for me.  Hope that helps!  I loved Dr. Czerniach, so nice and answered all of my questions, no matter how dumb they sounded!

"Running has the power to change your life. It will make you fitter, healthier, even happier."   ~Selene Yeager, "Let's Get Started," May 2010 issue of Runner's World

AwesomeForever
on 2/20/09 7:57 pm - Marlborough, MA
Get comfortable asking the questions here. Also, ask at the surgeon's office.

I went to NWH. I can call and get answers when I need to.

Linda
Jessica O.
on 2/21/09 11:47 am - Grafton, MA
Hi Marcie,

My surgeon was also Dr. Czerniach at UMass.  I had my RNY Gastric Bypass surgery on 3/24/08.  Once you have your consulation appt with Dr. Czerniach, they will be submitting your paperwork to your insurance company for approval.  Depending on your insurance, you should hear back within 2 weeks.  I have BC/BS and heard back after 1 week.  I actually received a phone call from the Weight Center with my surgery date before I received my approval letter in the mail.  I did not have to go on a liquid diet before the surgery.  I'm not sure if everyone follows the same protocol, but I did have to be on liquids only for the day before my surgery only. 
I only saw Dr. Czerniach at my consult appt.  The next time I saw him was the day of my surgery.  You will have a pre-testing appointment 1 week before your surgery date. 
Magyargal
on 2/21/09 12:05 pm
I was suppose to have Dr. Kelly at UMASS. But when I was told it would be close a year for surgery!! From my first consult.. I was like wow how far away is that.. I was suppose to the guy you are seeing first.. then had to go through his program, which cost $500.00 out of pocket... meaning your insurance does not pay one cent of it...

I found another surgeon much closer to me, and he is very nice, and a very wonderful surgeon too. And Guess what?? No out of pocket fees to see his people!!! Good luck you'll get sooner or later.. They tell you 6-8 months but I know at least 5 people who went to UMASS and they all told me it was closer to a year...I'm not saying they weren't happy now..If you can afford him go for it...I wish you the best.. Alizka

1st goal to be under 200. Done!  2nd goal to be just obese. Third goal is to be under 170 by Thanksgiving 2009. I Pray I can make it. I know the Lord will help me through this.  

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views